Monday, May 21, 2007

Opening Statement

They always say the first sentence is the hardest. Whos' "they?" You know, "them." So, I guess the first first sentence is really hard. I had all kinds of ideas of what to put here, and of course I've forgotten them all now. The point is, that I could either comment and comment and comment on other people's blogs, or I could just go ahead and start with my own thoughts and opinions. We all see which I chose.

A lot of this first post probably belongs in the "About Me" section, but it's my blog (mine, mine, MINE!!) so I'll do what I want with it. I do, however, plan to keep this game related, probably with some meanderings into the dreaded Real Life, hopefully keeping that to a minimum.

I've been playing CoH (I will be using mostly "CoH" to refer to both games. The abbreviation "CoX" just doesn't work for me.) for two years in a week. Yeah, new Vet Reward time. No, I don't know what it is. For at least the first year I played, it was straight gaming for me. No, I wasn't all about the percentages and formulas for "max XP," but XP was the main point of the game. No, I don't know how many hours it took to get my first 50, either. I didn't socialize much in-game, and did not RP, though I played mostly on the Virtue (the unoffical RP) server. Yeah, I made fun of those dorks over in Galaxy, sitting on the grassy knoll and not moving for hours at a time. I did enjoy coming up with background stories for my characters, however.

Eventually, the RP drew me in. Slowly. Very slowly. I RP'ed just a little in college, a few* years back, on-line, on IRC even, if anyone remembers that. ("Few" being more than "a couple" and less than "many.") Other than that, I have NO RP experience. No Dungeons & Dragons, or anything like that. I think the first "RP" was a character with a description as a spoiled brat (No, not Fyre) who usually spoke in "Valley-speak" and refused to walk through the gunky water in the sewers. There were a few spurts here and there, and then E and I started teaming regularly with Masonry (the original) and a few others. Suddenly, XP and "the game" seem less important than the story. Funny how that works. It may have something to do with the fact that I'm pretty sure I've done every single mission in the game (excepting some of the high-level CoV missions), and you can only type "lol" and "Ambush!" so many times before you look for something else.

I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I hesitate to call myself "a writer" because that's never been my primary job or focus. However, part of the point of this blog is to get me used to writing more than a sentence or two at a time into a chat program or a signature on a check. We'll see if that part of my brain still works.

No comments: