Thursday, May 24, 2007

More About Fyre

Yes, the time stamp is correct. I sleep weird sometimes. You'll get used to it.

I managed to fit a lot of Fyre's history in the story I posted, more than I expected, really, but I didn't really get much of her personality in it. After comments made in the game and in other places, in character and out, I get the feeling that I'm not really getting it out well in the game, either. I'm not really into melodrama. And I should correct myself twice on that statement. First, I should say it's hard for me to do. And secondly, I should define "melodrama," as big and overt. Maybe it's because, like I've said before, I'm new to the RP thing. "Melodrama," makes me feel a little silly. I think, though, that I've been a little too subtle with some aspects of Fyre's character, which has, in a way, caused me and Fyre to mislead people.

For instance, Frost and Mason, in character and out, have referred to Fyre as "strong," or things similar. The word that's always come to me when thinking of Fyre is "brittle." She's been broken, which is another word that's come up a lot lately. She's glued herself back together, but there are cracks where she'll break again. The pieces all have sharp edges, which someone usually gets cut on. Usually it's someone else, but sometimes it is, and will be, Fyre.

We're going to see some of that "broken" once the team gets to Malta again. Especially the first mission. In fact, I'm hoping their first Malta mission comes on the smaller team, because it's probably going to be bad, and there's not a whole lot I can do about it. There was a Malta ambush that belonged to someone already. It wasn't that big a deal, because it was quick. It was over before she or I had a chance to do much of anything. And, she could run. And she did. That was the quickest team quit I've done outside of a bad PuG.

It's important to note the "herself" in the "glued herself back together," too. She's never had anyone to count on. Definitely not her mother, and though she considers her father to be the only person who's ever truly cared for her, he wasn't around much, and has been dead since she was a teen-ager. She's never encountered anyone who didn't want something from her: money, the prestige of being around her, sex, something. Her friendships have been superficial, and often based on competition; other girls like she was, shallow and vain. She's matured and evolved since she's acquired powers, but the shallowness and vanity still remain, in much smaller doses, and she continues to see that in herself.

Everyone she's ever let get close to her has betrayed or abandoned her. That's at least partly why she's been able to forgive E and Mason their various transgressions. She expects to be hurt, more by someone close to her, which is of course why doesn't let people close to her often. E worked hard to get close to her. He made a concentrated effort, and it's worked well. Off and on, at least. Mason's been a slower process, with less effort on Mason's part, but over a longer period of time. She told Mason that any of them would have done anything for the others, and that's true from her point of view. Or at least once was. As things stand, right this minute, she would again. She still cares for both of them. How and why would certainly fill another entry, so I'll skip past that for now.

They've both lost the trust that they'd gained from her. She trusts E with her life, but not her emotions, at the moment. Again. She's beginning to trust Mason again, possibly with more than she did. During the recent Strym drama, she said to Mason, referring to the locket that Strym offered her, "I trust you with it." Deconstructed, "I trust you," is remarkable. It's a big step for her to use that phrase with anyone, much less Mason. She qualifies the statement with "with it," but later drops the phrase. The use of the words and the meaning behind them startled her when she first used it. The words and the sentiment are exceedingly rare for her.

I'll try to cover what I've forgotten or can't seem to think of at the moment tonight or tomorrow. I also hope to get the E/Serra conversation posted tonight.

4 comments:

The Vagabond said...

Even though he hasn't yet taken a mission from her, E has gotten Indigo as a contact...

Warwriter Widow said...

So has Mase. We'll keep it small - they RP, they understand. :)

Mega D said...

Oh yeah, I definitely understand (and I know the others will, too). Do your thing and let me know if you ever need a kin/sonic to tag along.

Gah! I can't keep up with these blogs! I blame all of you for making your characters so interesting. :D

--Kit

pauloddr said...

Poor Frost is still getting DE contacts ;(