Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Locket. And Some Other Stuff

Let me say that my retention of last night is somewhat lacking. After about 10 pm EST, I was playing while asleep. Around 11pm, I tried to lay down on my desk, but my Altoid tin got in the way. And we played 'til 1pm. Yeah, I was just hitting buttons, and sometimes they were even the right ones.

And I'm not feeling so hot today, so if I skip over stuff, you'll have to forgive me.

Apparently, the part we did about Fyre's locket was a little confusing. Briefly, let me correct it. Vagz (Yeah, I've known him for a looong time. I can call him that if I want) was meeting Fyre to tell her what he'd found out about the locket that Strym offered her. Mason and Frost show up just as Vagz started. Fyre's not exactly enthusiastic. Frost, she doesn't want to freak out any more. Mason... well, Fyre doesn't even particularly want him around. Frost and Mason are goofing off, so obviously this isn't important to them, anyway. Fyre suggests that they don't need to be there, and Mason says, "I want to help." Fyre figures that if it's like the "help" he's provided so far, she doesn't need it or want it, but since they have an audience, she lets it go.

Vagz tells them that the locket is old enough to have belonged to Fyre's ancestor, Katherine, but it's impossible to tell if it did or not. He says there is spell on it that would do what Strym said, protect Fyre from Katherine's and the demon's influence. However, that spell will drop away with a "magic word," or some type of key, and reveal a spell underneath. He makes the locket burst into flame, as a metaphor. The spell underneath will make her MORE susceptible to the demon's and Katherine's influence, more than likely allowing either of them to take over. Katherine especially just wants to kill and destroy. Releasing the second spell would certainly cause death and destruction. If Strym was counting on E being close to Fyre, it would be an excellent way to kill E. Or if he wants Jen out of the way for his own daughter to be the only "Child of Destiny," then possibly Jen. At least, just the nearest half dozen people. In the best case scenario for Strym, Fyre would kill at least E. In the worst case, Fyre's out of the equation, either being held accountable for probably multiple deaths, or dead.

That's a problem.

Vagz offers to remove the spells from the locket, but Fyre wonders if it's that's completely possible. She's doubtful. Mason makes a big deal of it later, but Fyre doesn't trust Vagz. No, he hasn't done anything to "screw her over," as Mason says, but she doesn't know him. At one point, Mason starts to point out that since Vagz is a magic user, Fyre should automatically trust him. Not in the least. After all, magic is what's gotten her into this mess to begin with. If it wasn't for a magical curse, her life would be entirely different.

I'm glad we didn't talk too much about E's condition, because I could not remember a thing about what E had posted on his blog. My reading comprehension was lacking, I guess.

Mason has his hissy fit, and Fyre refuses to go after him, though commonly that's something she's done. Frost and Fyre have a short conversation. Fyre is tired, and about to give up. Frost seems to hope she has a plan, but she doesn't. She's running out of options.

They do a relatively quiet mission or two.

During the Malta mission, I couldn't work Fyre up too much. Some of it was the player's failings. Some of it, though, was Fyre. There weren't actually many Malta in the mission. The first group, except for one, was destroyed when they blew up the first evidence box, which our characters never saw. I won't say that she's getting used to fighting Malta, but it's not so much of a shock now. She thinks maybe Mason knew that there was going to be Malta in the lab and just didn't tell her. Maybe on purpose to scare her, or freak her out, or get revenge for her fighting with and then ignoring him. And she's not willing to show him any weakness right then, even it it kills her. Plus, her player wanted to succeed in that stupid mission this time. (The first Malta mission they did, where Fyre FREAKED, was the same one, just E's version and they failed horribly. I didn't even know what the mission goal was that time, honestly) The second box was placed badly, and they failed again.

The pause after the crash I got exiting the mission pretty much did me in, and I slept through the rest of... whatever we did.

I'll either try to be more "with it" tonight, or maybe let Cass out of the box. Which doesn't sound like a bad idea for a couple of reasons.

I am getting frustrated with the Warshade. I'm beginning to remember why I didn't mind deleting the last one, even though she was level 33. After you get your pets at 32, before you finish saying, "Those are cool!" you're bored again. The powers are... kinda nifty, but they don't have such a big impact. The damage is nothing special, and that's more and more obvious with higher levels. I got rid of the dwarf because I didn't have it slotted very well, and I wasn't willing to use up anymore slots that I could use somewhere else on powers I used more often. If we'd keep playing these characters after 50, I wouldn't think twice about going back to blaster-Fyre. In fact, if I could think of a good reason, I'd probably drag blaster-Fyre around to be exemplared. We'll see, I guess.

1 comment:

Warwriter Widow said...

Whoops, totally misunderstood the locket thing. I'll update my blog and have them go to yours since you explain it a lot better.

I know how you feel about not being so excited about the Warshade. I was disappointed in the PB myself (the nuke SUCKS! The dwarf SUCKS! The Photon Seekers SUCK!) and will probably put it away once it hits 50. If y'all choose to play tonight, I really don't mind another character, or hitting villains, or switching to lowbies - or creating new alts, or... nothing at all. :)