Monday, June 25, 2007

Fyre and Mason

In a couple of hours, Fyre and "Nathan" are going to have a confrontation. Mason's player and I have scheduled it, after Fyre ran into Nathan at the Steel Canyon train station. Part of the reason she's back is because "Nathan" is out. That, especially from the way things were when she left, constituted an emergency. She's not happy about him being loose. He's tried to and threatened to kill her before, both as Ben and as himself. He set her up to be killed again recently, with no outside influences. She can't just let him run loose to plot her death, or E's, or Jen's. It's almost down to a "kill or be killed" situation, isn't it? As she's said, death sucks, and she's not looking forward to dying again, and she's certainly not going to let Nathan be the direct or indirect cause of E's or Jen's death, either.

But, you know what? I don't really want to do it. Not the confrontation, not whatever fight might ensue from it. I've cheated the character out of a lot of moments of high drama that she really should have had, though, because my own personal feelings. I tend to save RL drama for when it's necessary. I'm laid-back about most things, but once I stop being laid-back, it's over. So, yeah, Fyre has some of my traits. I think it's impossible not to put some of your own personality into a character when you've invested this much time into it. Sure, I could play someone completely different for short periods of time. But, after hours and hours, day after day, some of the "you" creeps into your character. No, Fyre's not me. But she has reacted to some things as I would, whether I mean it or not, whether I want her to or not. No, certainly not everything. Not even most things. But I've pulled her back, more than a few times and sometimes way too hard, when her reaction should have been more extreme because of my avoidance of "melodrama" and tendency to edit myself when I have the time to think about it.

Fyre and Mason haven't gotten along for about twenty levels for more than about twenty-four hours at a time. Fyre, to be true to the character, probably should have smoked Mason about ten levels back. She keeps forgiving him, and she should have written him off a long time ago, really. But her player wanted to keep the team together, so I duct-taped her mouth and tied her hands behind her back... and doused her with a fire extinguisher. I see now, and I've been thinking about it since back when Kit put the idea in Fyre's head that they should cut Mason loose weeks ago, how much we've forced the characters to do so many things that they probably would never have done. Maybe that's why they seem to be rebelling so much now.

I like our team. I like the people we play with. I even like the characters, though it's hard for Mason to be lovable after he was blithely willing to sacrifice his best friend's nine year old daughter for his own peace of mind. Fyre, however, has no reason to hang around people she should dislike and distrust. She's got no reason to hold herself back.

So, in a bit, Fyre and Nathan are going to have a confrontation that should end badly, judging by the situation as Fyre knows it. She doesn't know what Mason has up his sleeve, and I don't know what the player has in store, either. And, Fyre's imperfect player is still in control. So as always, who knows what's going to happen?

1 comment:

Warwriter Widow said...

As I said in E's blog, I have the nasty habit of letting insecurity creep in. Yeah, Mase has a lot of me . Sometimes way too much. And you're right, he should have been smoked way back, right about when he went to prison. We have forced them to dance, and now they're balking.

This is why I'm glad we're starting brand spankin' new characters on 3.0. We need a breath of fresh air.

What's up with Mason? Uh...I have an idea, but he probably won't do it, knowing him.