Friday, September 7, 2007

Fyre's List

I've been meaning to do this for a couple of weeks. And then we were talking about music yesterday in the game. I woke up this morning thinking about it, so I'm finally going to post it.
This is Fyre's current playlist. Well, current-ish, because I started it weeks ago, and added just a little over time. Some of the "reasoning" behind the picks doesn't exist anymore, but the songs stayed. I won't post the entire list; it's gotten rather long. But you can safely assume there is no soft rock, oldies, new age, jazz, or folk music.

Live and Let Die-- Guns and Roses
Yep, it's a cover. From somewhere around 1989. But it's pretty much the song the whole play list was based around. "But this ever changing world in which we live, makes you give in and cry, 'live and let die.'" I think it works pretty well for a hero gone bad. (Or has she?!)

Fine Again-- Seether
A little slower than the pace of a lot of the other songs, but it still fits.

Somebody Save Me-- Cinderella
It doesn't really fit. And it's 1980's hair metal. The pacing's good, though.

This Fire-- Franz Ferdinand
Hello, "fire?" Do I need to explain it?

Why Don't You Come Over-- Garbage
Okay, Garbage is possibly my favorite band, ever. Top 5, at least. I have a lot on all my playlists, game and regular. Still, it applies: "You were baking biscuits, while I was bending the law; sacrificing something, as you counted all my flaws."

Body Snatcher-- Billy Idol
This is off his 2005 album (Yes, there was a new Billy Idol album then. Really). Loud, and a little creepy. "The dark side gets its way."

Never Will I Break-- 3 Doors Down
Lots of electric guitars and drums. I could listen to this stuff all day. "At least a million times I've fallen, but never will I break."

Metal Heart-- Garbage
See? Another Garbage song. Good beat, good lyrics. "I wish was as big as you, you'd have to tell the truth. I'd be nothing you could hurt, nothing you could use."

I'm Not Okay-- My Chemical Romance
Almost too "emo" but it works. It's loud, obnoxious emo, as opposed to whiny emo. "For the last time, take a good hard look. I'm not okay," and then later, he screams "I'm telling you the truth, I mean this, I'm okay. Trust me." I like the contrariness.

I Didn't Like You Anyway-- The Donnas
It doesn't really apply. I like the song, though, and the beat.

Thoughtless-- Evanescence
It's a cover of a song by Korn that I've never heard. And I have a terrible copy, a bootleg recording of a live show. It's fuzzy, and half the time I skip it because the fuzz makes my head hurt. "You can try to tell me no, beat me to the ground. I will see you screaming."

Heaven's a Lie-- Lacuna Coil
A little quieter. "Set me free, your heaven's a lie."

Firestarter-- Prodigy
Chosen not for lyrics, though other characters may think they apply now that I think of it, but just for the title and the beat.

Breathe-- Prodigy
The best Prodigy song made, though it got less attention than, say, "Smack My Bitch Up." Here, mostly for pacing. Really nice for tearing through Longbow.

Let's Go (Crazy Train Remix)-- Trick Daddy, Little Jon, etc.
One of the very few rap songs I even own. It samples Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train, though. I don't recommend it unless you like rap or have a fondness for songs that contain the f-word. I'm just amused at the rapping with Ozzy doing the sound effects in the background.

The Wreckoning-- Boomkat
The lyrics and the beat. Maybe a little too "pop-y." But she swears, and you can't swear in pop songs, right? "I came, I saw, I kicked some ass. The pain I caused, it makes me laugh."

Getting Away with Murder-- Papa Roach
This should have been villain-Mason's theme song. Really. I'd have to post the complete lyrics if I even started. But, you know, it IS a rock song, so it's not like there are many lyrics.

Celebrity Skin-- Hole
"I'm all I wanna be, a walking study in Demonology." Okay, it's the only thing that even vaguely applies. I just like the song.

You Know I'm No Good-- Amy Winehouse
Doesn't apply, except maybe for some vague metaphor with the title. And the pacing doesn't mesh well, either. I just threw it in there for a break, mostly.

Next Contestant-- Nickelback
I love the pacing of the song. Lyrically, it doesn't apply. It's a song about a guy who wants to beat up everyone who comes onto his girlfriend. Nickeback, though, is my FoTM. The song Animals is on the list, too.

Guilty in Here-- Miranda Lambert
Yeah, it's country. I really like Miranda Lambert, though. If you crossed Joan Jett, Brittany Spears, and Lynyrd Skynard, you'd get Miranda Lambert. I love the lyrics to this song, but none of them apply. "Is it guilty in here, or is it just me?" I also have Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Gunpowder & Lead by her on the list, too.


Crashed-- Daughtry
Good song, good lyrics. A little slower than some of the other songs, but it fits. "Where we're headin', there's just no knowin'"


All That I'm Living For-- Evanescence
There are other Evanescence songs on the list, but this one applies the best, lyrically. This could be Fyre's theme song.
All that I'm living for
All that I'm dying for
All that I can't ignore alone at night
All that I'm wanted for
Although I wanted more
Lock the last open door
My ghosts are gaining on me

Never Again-- Kelly Clarkson
The song's about the singer's ex who did her wrong, but I think it sums up Fyre's general attitude about a few people pretty well. "I would never wish bad things, but I don't wish you well."

Highway to Hell-- Marilyn Manson
Bodies-- Drowning Pool
The Hand The Feeds-- Nine Inch Nails
My Way or the Highway-- Limp Bizkit
Guerilla Radio-- Rage Against the Machine
Just good ripping through enemies, fighting music

Tourniquet-- Rasputina
Quiet, a little evil, kind of creepy. Most of the lyrics don't apply, but I like it anyway.
Take your hatred out on me
Make me your victim, your next
You never ever believed in me

Secret Agent Man-- Devo
Will's song, sort of? Nah, not really. Just a break from some of the other stuff.

Girl On Fire (Renholder's Apocalypse Mix)-- Rob Zombie
On every playlist that Fyre's associated with.

Nothin' Better to Do-- LeeAnn Rimes
Yeah, it's country. But it's upbeat and tells a fun little story. Another song that's mostly a break from the louder stuff.

I Just Wanna Live-- Good Charlotte
Doesn't apply AT ALL. It's another break song. And the lyrics crack me up.
I rock a
Lawsuit
when I’m going to court
A white suit
when I’m gettin’ divorced
A black suit
at the funeral home
And my birthday suit
when I’m home alone

Save Yourself-- Stabbing Westward
A good song for an "ex-hero," even just for the title alone. The pacing makes it suitable for fighting, and the lyrics fit.
I know that you've been damaged
You soul has suffered such abuse
But I am not your savior
I am just as fucked as you
I cannot save you
I can't even save myself
So just save yourself

I won't be posting the songs I substituted for the regular boombox songs. Mostly, because I don't remember what I used. I have quite a bit of music, so it was pretty random. Yes, I did throw Gettin' Jiggy wit' It, by Will Smith on there. It looks absolutely perfect when a character boomboxes to that song. I highly recommend grabbing the CoH Splasher program, even if just for this purpose. Especially if you PuG. When some obnoxious little guy in Atlas busts out his boombox while the team is gathering for a mission, you won't mind in the least.

1 comment:

Warwriter Widow said...

Breathe ranks up there as one of my favorite songs - that I forgot all about. Now that's on a loop, thankyouverymuch. I love Prodigy and the whole rock/tech genre (Chemical Bro's, Fatboy Slim, etc.) So if you find out any more like that, let me know.

Going to look for some that you mention.