Monday, January 26, 2009

Why I Hate My Computer a.k.a. What Not To Do

Currently, I'm downloading the game onto my laptop. Why? Because I'm an idiot, clearly.

Disregard the rest of this if you want. I'm frustrated, and it's a rant.

I picked up a virus last week. Or let's just call it "malware" because I'm not even sure what it was. And I wasn't even doing anything bad! Okay, I was watching a TV show on one of those "funny" sites, but it was The Big Bang Theory, for gods' sake. But, anyway. Apparently, when I cleaned it out, my anti-bad-stuff program, Ad-Aware, took a couple of Windows files with it. (Thanks so much, Ad-Aware!) Now, I'm getting a dll error everytime I boot up my computer, and a fun random crash that freezes my entire computer every once in awhile. I played, what, 10 hours yesterday? And I got two of those crashes. That's not unbearable, but it's not good. Windows System Restore, the easy solution, won't work, because of what I can only assume are the missing Windows files. Windows came with my computer, so I can't use my Windows disk to repair Windows. I have what calls itself a "System Restore" disk that is supposed to reload all the programs that came pre-loaded on the computer, but will erase everything on the hard drive. I resigned myself to that and backed up what I could (pictures, music, etc.) onto my lap top. But, the Restore CD didn't work. My computer refused to do anything with it.

So, it looks like I'm stuck with a computer that will probably crash at least once each time I try to run the game. I'm pretty sure CoH is not going to run well on my lap top, but I'll try it anyway, just to feel like I'm doing something where I'm pretty sure I've run out of options. And if you see me in the game, and I randomly disappear, I crashed. I'll be back in about 10 minutes.

No comments: